When it comes to birthdays, baking a homemade, from-scratch cake is the only way to go!
I love baking cakes, and this is by far my favorite!
You will just love this cake with its moist yumminess that screams your name!
The rich cream cheese frosting leaves a lingering taste in your mouth that makes you want just one more bite.
It is the absolute best!
All you have to do is search for cakes on Pinterest and you will find visual delights that are endlessly eye appealing.
I want you to bake this cake without fear of missing that Pinterest perfection that normally keeps you from even trying.
You’ll feel so accomplished that you baked a cake from scratch just like Laura Ingalls must have done!
This cake will not disappoint.
Let’s get started!!
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup oil
2 cups sugar
5 eggs, separate out yolks
1 teaspoon soda
2 1/4 cups flour
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup coconut
1 cup nuts, chopped
8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 lb. box/4 cups powdered sugar
*Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder if you would like a chocolate frosting.
- Cream butter, add oil and sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add yolks and beat well. Add flour mixed with soda.
- Add buttermilk, vanilla, coconut and nuts.
- Beat egg whites stiff, then fold into above mixture.
- Bake in 2-8″ greased and floured pans at 350 until toothpick comes out clean (about 45-50 minutes.)
- Mix frosting ingredients until smooth.
- Frost on cake when cooled (WHEN COOLED!!)
This is my ‘GO TO’ cake recipe wherever I wanted a birthday to be extra special! The cream cheese gives this cake the extra yumminess that gives a birthday party a special touch. No birthday? Make it anyways and celebrate each other!!
Latest posts by Judith (see all)
- My One Word Journey - January 17, 2017
- Grace is My One Word for 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Ditch Your New Year’s Resolutions and Choose Just ONE WORD - January 2, 2017