Social media is affecting almost all ages of our society.
Even the two year old knows how to use a device to play games even before he knows how to connect on social media.
Even a child under 12 months gets used to posing when mom snaps a picture to share on Facebook.
Are You Distracted by Constant Notifications?
I don’t know about you, but I wake up and check the notifications on my phone.
It is nice to hear from a friend. I feel connected with her. So I answer and the conversation begins.
Half hour later . . . um . . . I am so distractable!!
I have a morning routine but I have been wondering why it often takes me so long to get through it.
I’ll admit, I am going to be solving the problem of being distracted by social media.
I am going to set some rules for myself.
5 Ways to BE Distracted by Social Media
But first I am going to figure out why I am so distracted by the social aspects of my devices. You too?
There are very few people who are not on Facebook. Yes, I meet one or two now and then but most of us have an account.
It isn’t just teens that are using their phones incessantly to scroll through social avenues.
People in their 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, 60’s and even those in their 70’s!!
One day we will have geriatrics scrolling through Facebook (if it still exists) while they sit on the seat of their walkers. They won’t be talking with the geriatric next to them because the habit of ‘being social’ became addicting many years before!!
- It’s Addicting! No one will deny that social media is addicting.
- Many Children and Adults have lost interest in developing real-time relationships, skills, learning, or hobbies, and grasp their phone like it’s a caffeine fix.
- People of all Ages Return to Their Device within seconds after turning away to do something else.
- No One Can Eat Without Checking their Notifications instead of talking with the person eating with them.
- Kids and Even Adults are Texting, Messaging, checking their Facebook news feed to the point of distraction.
Solving the Social Media Distraction
Do you have kids that you are neglecting because you are being distracted by social media?
I am so glad that it didn’t exist while I was raising our children. Now, don’t get me wrong . . . there was other things to distract me. As Solomon in the Bible said, there is nothing new under the sun!!
I could spend as much time on the phone (calling someone not texting, LOL) and we did have internet. It wasn’t the dark ages!!
As women, we need to be focused no matter what season of life we are in. We will be accountable for each moment. I don’t like the choices I made in some of my moments and I am trying to make my moments going forward, pleasing to the Lord.
I have also fallen into the social media trap too early in the day.
- Checking notifications
- Spending time texting
- Posting on Facebook
- Facebook groups can be a black hole before 9am!!
- Checking notifications
- Repeat 5 times
I am going to be changing up my Morning Routine to EXCLUDE social media until after 8:30am or until after I have gone through my routine!!
Getting up early consistently will help in this.
If I don’t get up as early as I’d like (life happens to moms, right?) I will just follow my routine. That’s it!!
I am not going to be distracted by social media first thing in my day any longer. Later in the day, if I am concentrating on something that needs to be done, social media will just have to wait.
There is a time and place for it, don’t think I am saying to delete your account.
Is social media distracting you from your family, time with the Lord, your job, your relationships? How are you going to change up when you get social?
Latest posts by Judith (see all)
- How Food Cravings Can Keep You from Going Deeper with God - July 18, 2017
- 20 Comforting Bible Verses When You are Going Through Trials - July 13, 2017
- 5 Ways to Go Deeper with God by Focusing on Him Wholeheartedly - July 3, 2017