Why do you think God allows adversity to come into your life? You might feel like Job, struggling with an impossible situation that has devastated your life. God wants you going deeper with Him instead of making the bad choice of allowing bitterness to sneak into your heart.
No one can escape adversity in this life. It is something we all face to one degree or another. It doesn’t matter if you are Queen Elizabeth of England or the poorest person who lives in a shack in Haiti. We all face problems.
Queen Esther faced losing her only relative and her people. Instead of hiding from her problems she used her influence as Queen, even risking her life to save those she loved from destruction.
Esther’s Jewish name, “Hadassah,” comes from the word myrtle which is a tree whose leaves only release a fragrance when they are crushed.
Like Esther, our lives can bring forth beauty through adversity when we are crushed.
Are You Facing Adversity?
Is your faith challenged because of the rough circumstances you are facing?
Maybe you have gone through such difficult times that you are crushed under adversity. God can lift you up out of the mire by releasing the sweet fragrance of His overcoming power in your life.
- When you raise your child to walk with God and they choose to rebel against you, the standards in your home and God, it is one of the hardest things a mother will ever go through.
- Violence in the home from your husband or child is one of the most difficult things to live through. It is not easily solved without intervention from those in authority. If you are facing this kind of adversity, please get help because it goes beyond any encouragement I can give you. It is of utmost importance for you and your children to be safe.
- When you are faced with raising a child with serious special needs, debilitating health issues, or your child has cancer or some other long term disease, it takes daily care and concern that will stretch a mother beyond where she ever thought she could go.
- When your husband leaves you for another woman or defiles your children, you are faced with the most devastating kind of adversity possible. You find yourself alone and raising children without the protection and love you had always hoped for.
- Finances can stretch you beyond what you can imagine as you live from paycheck to paycheck or without it at all.
- Fire can devastate your physical belongings and within moments destroy all that you had on this earth.
I have been there in the anvil of adversity as God made me into who He created me to be. It was the worst thing I ever went through but I have come out of it being sure that God used all that pain to mold me.
A couple years ago, something happened that was worse than what we had already been going through. It was bad enough or should I say sad enough.
Then my life got worse.
I was crying every. single. day. I would start and I couldn’t stop. Once I started, I would easily cry the rest of the day. It didn’t help that my hormones were probably at an all time high with ‘the change’ right on my horizon. Hormones do have an amazing way of releasing through tears. Don’t fight them. Peace comes afterwards.
My eyes would be so swollen that anyone I was around could tell I had been crying. It was that bad.
I got makeup for the first time in twelve years!!
Who said a woman shouldn’t wear waterproof mascara and eye shadow?!
The first step towards joy is encouraging yourself in the Lord. That means making your face up, putting on a smile whether you feel like it or not! You take the first step and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit will do the rest.
A number of years back, I cared for an aging relative for about a month when my children were young. Relatives thought we were crazy and that it was the wrong thing for us to do since our children were impressionable. I hope they were left with a good impression because I sure learned a lot!
I learned two things. It seemed that this lady had chosen bitterness because of whatever adversity she had faced in her life. Although she was very out-of-it, when asked to pray, she could connect with her Lord in such an amazing way. God will never leave or forsake you no matter which choice you make in life.
But choosing to respond to adversity with God’s grace, going deeper with God through it is much better.
Pour out to God every detail of your situation although He already knows all about it. There is something about doing this that will bring you deeper with God.
The day I found victory over the adversity I was facing was the day that God gave me a song in my heart.
I went around the house singing, Yesterday, Today, Forever Jesus is the Same not looking for victory but it did come and stayed in an amazing way.
My circumstances were devastating for me. I don’t walk in your shoes so although your situation is bound to be worse, mine is all that I know.
What I know is that God’s arm is long enough to reach me and He lifted me out of the mire.
Verses to Encourage in Your Adversity
For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. (Romans 8:18)
For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ. And whether we be afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effectual in the enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer: or whether we be comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation. (2 Corinthians 1:5-6)
If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified. (1 Peter 4:14)
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. (John 16:33)
In the middle of whatever adversity you are facing, keep your eyes on Jesus. The adversity and suffering that you are experiencing for the sake of Jesus, makes what He experienced for you, look like nothing. Learn to practice looking forward to the promises of Jesus and forget all your temporary troubles that you have right now. Looking to Jesus!!
Did this bless and encourage you today? Would you like me to pray for you?
Did you miss other posts from this series: 30 Days to Go Deeper with God? GO HERE
Latest posts by Judith (see all)
- Making Your Money Matter in a Culture of Debt - April 19, 2017
- How to Organize Your Storage Space (Without Spending Much Money) - April 17, 2017
- 5 Reasons Your Kitchen is Chaotic - April 6, 2017