Having a company ready home when life is crazy?
We all have different circumstances and our ‘crazy’ will look different than the next person. Days like today make me feel like it has taken me the whole morning to get ‘control’ of my home and after all that it still looks a mess!!
I have 14 month old twin granddaughters who often have lived with us. Today was a busy morning and they just wore out and went down for a late morning nap. The toys are strewn over the living room and kitchen and there are still a few household chores waiting to be done.
Although I somewhat live out in the sticks and know only a few acquaintances, I have a few things I would want to have done should someone stop over by surprise.
Where friends enter your home makes all the difference in the world.
In a home we lived in for many years, friends entered through the front door at the landing on the stairs. The kitchen sink wasn’t in plain view when friends entered my home.
I love where I live now!! People enter through the kitchen door. No one ever comes through our front door since it faces the woods so you can sit on the porch in the summer. It is natural to come in through the kitchen. I love the warmth that conveys.
BUT….I have dishes drying on the counter!!
And toys on the floor!!
How about you?? Do you relate??
My living room is clutter free and so is my kitchen. It could use a deeper cleaning (like in my cabinets . . . today?) but if someone was to drop over it really doesn’t look so bad if you look higher than the floor.
Who Do Friends Come to See? My House or Me?
Although I am not here to encourage you to live in a cluttered home that is never vacuumed and the kitchen floors never washed, I am not here to tell you to dust daily.
I want my home to be inviting. People live here and so there might be toys to step over. I might pick them up when you stop over just so you don’t trip, but I’m sorry if you came to see what sort of house I live in or how well it is decorated!!
I hope you came to fellowship with me, not my house!!
My home is a home and NOT a house.
When you stop over, I hope you’d like to sit down and have a cup of coffee or tea of your preference as we share about the Lord and exchange notes about balancing life as a wife, mother, and homeschooler who is a real person and blogger.
You DID Want Some Tips, Right?!
1. Make your bed as soon as you get out of it!!
2. Did you shower and dress before you groped for that cup of coffee? The other day was unusual because I lost my chance for an early morning shower. I opted to read my Bible first and then one thing after the other happened until late morning found me showering!! I would have been mortified (that means dead!) if you had dropped over!! As for coffee, I’d prefer water first thing.
3. Wash & tidy up the bathroom before breakfast. Have you ever had that friend stop over to ‘borrow’ an egg at 7am?? Once my day is started, I forget that the sink has cat hair on it (crazy cat) and that the sink has toothpaste in it, and the toilet is visibly dirty. Everyone knows I had a housefull of children but it is nice to know that everything is neat and tidy when a friend needs to use your bathroom.
4. It is a simple thing to do dishes right after eating. Or load the dishwasher. My mother always said that it made everything look better in the kitchen, and she was right!!
5. Take a basket and collect homeless items and put them in your closet. If your children want them back, you could fine them a nickle or require an extra chore. Help is the best!!
Doing just those five things is an AMAZING step towards having a home that is ‘company ready’ when life is crazy!!
Is your life crazy? Do you have a baby? Toddler? Hurricane? Allergies? Cancer? Or _________?
What makes your life crazy? Just remember what counts the most is that your friends are likely coming over to see YOU and NOT your house!!
I’m so glad that you surprised me and dropped over!! What would you like, coffee or tea??
Latest posts by Judith (see all)
- Are You Willing to Make a Difference in a Younger Woman’s Life? - March 27, 2017
- My One Word Journey - January 17, 2017
- Grace is My One Word for 2017 - January 10, 2017