And What I Am Doing About it
We are all on a health journey to somewhere.
Some of us are on a downward health journey because we aren’t trying to take even one step in a healthy direction.
Sure, I move forward and sometimes take a step backwards; but I am always trying to take steps in the direction of getting my health back on track.
It is hard.
When I go to the grocery store, every isle looks like it’s a candy isle!! Even what is supposed to be healthy is laced with hidden sugars and preservatives.
5 Things I was doing to Sabotage a Healthy Journey
If you know me or have seen a picture of more than my face, you will think (or even say) that I was healthy because I am slender.
Skinny isn’t necessarily healthy.
It isn’t about losing weight.
It is about getting healthy.
That is why skinny people can be some of the most unhealthy people around.
When I was younger, I could eat all the wrong things, not workout, and not gain an ounce. I did not have any noticeable health issues. I had no negative health diagnosis and was not on any medications. I still am not on medications.
Just because you are not on any medications (yet) does not signal good health. The seemingly healthiest people also die.
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: ~Hebrews 9:27~
Back to the 5 things I was doing to sabotage my health:
- Eating too much sugary sweets. Anything. Everything.
- Jittery highs and bad mid-morning and afternoon lows. Nothing that another sugar fix can’t cure!!
- Experiencing weight gain. I wasn’t as young anymore and my metabolism was sluggish. A slowing metabolism is a sign of imbalance.
- Not sleeping well. I slept all night but sometimes had difficulty getting to sleep (especially if I had sugar and caffeine too late in the day). My sleep wasn’t deep.
- Exhausted and melancholy upon waking. There is nothing as bad as waking up tired and finding it hard to be excited about the new day!!
What I am Doing About My Health Journey
In January of 2014, I decided to take measures to get my healthy back.
Wouldn’t YOU love to have your health back?
Maybe you are different than me and have been taking care of your health all along?
Here is what I have been doing to get my life back on the health track:
- Getting to bed before midnight and most nights by 10:30-11pm.
- Getting up earlier. Most mornings I am up by 5am so long as I got to bed on time. It gives me a jumpstart on my day when my energy is at its peak.
- Taking some awesome supplements. Taking supplements has made a huge improvement in my health journey. I have never taken vitamins that I could actually tell the difference and see results. It has kicked my sugar cravings (for the most part) and I have totally stopped drinking Arizona ice tea.
- Not buying unhealthy food in the first place. Like I said, Arizona ice tea is a thing of the past. Even the occasional candy bar when I am out is not something I crave. I have not been eating bananas for the time being while I get my sugar cravings balanced because there is more (natural) sugar in them than I realized. Not baking cookies often at all unless there is a church function…then I give away the leftovers.
- Added walking to my daily routine. I have a puppy and she has ‘upped’ my daily movement. I started measuring my steps with my phone and now try to get 10,000 steps in daily.
- Workout 15-30 minutes 3-6 times a week. Exercise not only gets your sedentary body moving but burns calories, tones muscles, gets rid of fat, and helps you to have victory over depression. Telling God about my cares really helps while I am walking and keeps those melancholy feelings at bay.
Just so you know, I am not a health care provider in any way shape or form. I am just sharing my opinions where it comes to health. This is what I have found helps and before you start following my suggestions, please consult your doctor.
Some of you probably have major reasons that you are struggling with your health. You may find it difficult to be as active as I am. Even just getting up and moving some will go a long ways. Just add levels of activity gradually as your health improves.
Just wondering what you do to keep healthy? Are you struggling with your health?
If you don’t feel comfortable sharing in the comments, you may send me a Facebook Private Message.
I also love it when you “Like” my WholeHearted Home’s Facebook fan page.
Welcome to WholeHearted Wednesday #195
WOW! It’s Wednesday again! Welcome to our WholeHearted Wednesday Linkup for bloggers!
Tanya is a regular on my linkup party and blogs over at Kentucky Sketches shared “A Moment’s Neglect, The Day I Left My Baby in a Hot Car.” This was totally engaging and grace-based. I hope you will drop over and read what she shares. I love Tanya’s blog!!
Now let’s link-up!!
This is a weekly Christian link-up
WholeHearted Wednesday’s sole purpose is to point people to Jesus! We hope that this link-up will be a source of encouragement to those who stop by every single week. If you are a blogger we hope that you seek to meet new people and share the fellowship available through this community. If you are a reader we hope you will find the fellowship in Christ through this community and meet like-minded bloggers. Most of all this is a place where we can share Jesus and fellowship.
My name is Judith Kowles (sometimes known as Judie) and I am the author and owner of WholeHearted Home. I would love it if you would follow me where I love to hang out the most.
WholeHearted Home | Judith Kowles
THE AWESOME RULES!
- Follow me through my blog or my social media channels. This is not mandatory but sure appreciated.
- Leave as many of your most recent or forgotten CHRISTIAN FAMILY/HOME/LIVING posts. We also reserve the right to delete posts that do not align with a Christian perspective or that are deemed by the hostesses to be inappropriate.
- Visit at least one other link and leave an encouraging comment. Please do not link and run. This is a party and without fellowship both my blog and yours will die a slow death!
- Your post(s) will be randomly sorted on this link-up. That means you may come as early or late as you’d like and the fellowship will be ‘even’ more fun!!
In Order to be Featured Next Week
I will do my best to share a featured post each week. When I am out-of-town or life ‘happens’ that may not be possible for that week. Just wanted to leave myself room to be real.
- Grab a button or link back to WholeHearted Home to encourage new linkers. This is not mandatory for the linkup, but is required for being featured.
- I will choose one link to feature and promote via my social media channels next week.
- By linking up you agree to allow me to use your featured post image if you are chosen as a feature for next week. By linking up and leaving your email address, you also agree to receive e-mails relating to WholeHearted Wednesday.
Thank you for linking back to WholeHearted Home
or Grabbing the Button and joining the link-up below:
Want to be FIRST to know when the party goes LIVE?
Enter your email address below to receive a weekly reminder
when WholeHearted Wednesday starts!!
Latest posts by Judith (see all)
- How Food Cravings Can Keep You from Going Deeper with God - July 18, 2017
- 20 Comforting Bible Verses When You are Going Through Trials - July 13, 2017
- 5 Ways to Go Deeper with God by Focusing on Him Wholeheartedly - July 3, 2017