My husband and I are on a journey to debt free living and we would like to invite you to come along with us!! We have been on this journey for way too long as you could say, we have been kind of in a wilderness.
We just needed to quit borrowing more money!!
The Israelites wandered around and around in the wilderness for 40 years and um…we have been wandering around taking two steps forward and one step backwards.
Couples that are younger than us have the potential of getting to the Promised Land in a little better shape than we might.
Nevertheless, we serve an AWESOME God who understands all the struggles we have and wants to help us get where we are headed.
I love the expression that Dave Ramsey uses when he talks about the steps we should take in getting out of debt. He says to get out of debt with ‘gazelle intensity.”
A gazelle jumps and runs from the cheetah with intensity because he does not want to get caught!!
We should run from the temptations that lure us into debt every single day.
There are many areas that debt’s claws grab hold of you:
- School loans
- Home equity loans for repairs and improvements
- Car loans
- Personal loans for furniture and major emergencies
- Consumer debt aka credit cards
I think out of all of these areas the consumer debt in the form of the credit card is the one that bombards us every single day. You don’t even have to leave your home anymore.
There’s Amazon!! Convenient. Just one click and you can have whatever you WANT in just two days!!
Consumer debt will expose the root cause of your money issues faster than grease lightening if you are willing to pay attention.
Getting control of those WANTS and controlling our GREED and need to have whatever we wish NOW has become so easy.
Just one click!!
It isn’t just paying off the credit cards, loans, cars, and mortgage with the snowball plan.
It is changing your money behavior. Period.
You can get your card(s) all paid up but if you don’t CHANGE YOUR MONEY BEHAVIOR you will get right back into debt!!
You Have to QUIT Borrowing More Money!!
What that means is that you must NOT borrow even one more dime!!
You are not going to get anywhere if you keep charging on Amazon or at Walmart.
When your budget gets strained and the stress is crashing in on you, don’t use the credit card to stretch the budget.
The credit card will bust the budget!
5 Reasons to Quit Borrowing More Money
Credit cards should really be cut up because as long as they are in your wallet, the temptation can be too strong for most of us.
The problem is that is waay too scary for most people to do.
In order to not have a credit card, you have to “be” your own credit card.
OR trust God.
We just don’t do that much anymore.
Here is why you should QUIT borrowing more money:
- To learn contentment – Lack of contentment is the biggest reason that we take out a home equity or car loan. We just have to have that edition on our home, or the house redecorated. We want that item on Amazon right now. We have trouble waiting two days let alone until payday! If we learn to be content with such things as we have we will have come a long ways.
- To save money for the future – Retirement is important. Don’t tell me that you will keep working. You won’t always be able to if you live that long. You also might need to pay for that major unexpected home repair. That leaking roof or failed septic. Our septic failed several years ago. We did not have the money and that forced us to take out a loan. The Lord supplied the money miraculously and we were able to pay it up fairly soon. Anticipate your future needs and save money as soon as you are able.
- To have money for giving – If you are living debt free, you will have money to give to those in need. It is better to give than to receive. This is the real reason to quit borrowing. It isn’t really to save for retirement. That is just wise. It is to have money left over for missionaries and those in need.
- To break the cycle of debt and credit purchases – Over the years, we have gotten into credit debt. Then we paid it up. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. A huge reason to quit borrowing more money is to BREAK THAT CYCLE!!
- To learn the power of prayer – When your focus is no longer on the week to week problem of having money for bills and paying up credit, you can focus so much better on praying for others in need. Yes, as you quit borrowing money you will need to depend more on God to supply your needs. We have found that God loves it when our goal is to get out of debt.
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel because we have been working at this for a long time. Yes, it has been a journey with two steps forward and one step backwards.
You see, even when you are thinking you are making no progress at all, with two steps forward, you are getting one step ahead!!
“No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.” ~Matthew 6:24~
“Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” ~Philippians 4:11-13~
How are YOU managing your money? You might be way ahead of me or in dept up to your ears and totally discouraged. Share with me, or connect with me privately. I’ll pray for you!!
Welcome to WholeHearted Wednesday #180
Thank you for joining in with WholeHearted Wednesday #180 yet again this week!! Link up as many of your favorite and forgotten family-friendly posts as you’d like. Share a little Christ-like love around the blogosphere as you stop over to fellowship with other bloggers.
Did you “LIKE” WholeHearted Home on Facebook?? I share interesting things that might not even be on my blog that will encourage and inspire you. Sometimes you will even get a peek behind my blog.
You will might find me at THESE LINKUP PARTIES as I have time to visit!!
WholeHearted Wednesday will be LIVE through Saturday at midnight!
Want to be FIRST to know when the party goes LIVE?
Enter your email address below to receive a weekly reminder
when WholeHearted Wednesday starts!!
Latest posts by Judith (see all)
- My One Word Journey - January 17, 2017
- Grace is My One Word for 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Ditch Your New Year’s Resolutions and Choose Just ONE WORD - January 2, 2017