When you are going through trials, it can be hard to know where to turn or what to do. Most often we turn to God last even when we are saved and know deep down that is the first person we should go to. There isn’t one of us who will go through our entire life without facing some sort of trial. Sometimes it is financial, other times it is relational with our children or our husband. You might be facing a physical illness or be recovering from an injury. You or a loved one might be facing the last days of your life. Whatever trials you are facing, I hope and pray that these verses will be very comforting for you today.
20 Comforting Bible Verses
- “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8-9) Jesus has a purpose in each trial we face but the solution isn’t always the way you might have solved the problem. Jesus deeply empathizes with you and has thoughts and ways of bringing a solution that you would never have thought of!
- “Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance, And the young men and the old, together; For I will turn their mourning to joy, Will comfort them, And make them rejoice rather than sorrow. (Jeremiah 31:13) It is an amazing thing when God totally turns a trial around that brought you sadness and mourning and gives you joy and rejoicing rather than sorrow. This happened to me! Praise God!
- Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4) We learn from God how to comfort others when they are going through something similar.
- Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted. (Matthew 5:4) What an encouragement to see that when we mourn and are sad about something, we are blessed!
- “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. (John 14:1) What a comforting thought to know that when we are troubled, that we are to focus on believing in God and Jesus. It is a trust issue!
- He heals the brokenhearted, And binds up their wounds. (Psalm 147:3) Has your marriage fallen apart and ended up differently than you ever dreamed? Or did a child grow up and break your heart? Jesus will bind up those wounds. I promise you!
- Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble; My eye wastes away with grief, Yes, my soul and my body! (Psalm 31:9) When you go through trials, it puts your whole body under stress. Ask God to give you mercy and tell Him about your struggles.
- Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27) The biggest comfort you could ever have is a heart filled with peace.
- God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. (Psalm 46:1) A refuge provides protection and there is regrouping strength that equips us during a time of trouble.
- Sing, O heavens! Be joyful, O earth! And break out in singing, O mountains! For the Lord has comforted His people, And will have mercy on His afflicted. (Isaiah 49:13) This verse tells HOW God will be comforting to you. It calls you to break out in singing and be joyful.
- These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33) God is telling you that you will have peace and even be able to be cheerful when it just doesn’t make sense. Even with Kim Jung Un trying to develop nuclear bombs we can have peace!
- I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. (John 14:18) Did your parents divorce when you were a child? Maybe one or both of your parents died. Jesus promises He will come and give you comfort.
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. (Psalm 23:4) I don’t know what you are going through but I do know this. Don’t fear evil. Jesus is with you. He is so comforting, right?
- Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ (Isaiah 41:10) Jesus will be with you and He reassures you that He is your God, will strengthen you, help you, uphold you, and be your righteous right hand. Those are powerful and comforting words.
- Therefore you now have sorrow; but I will see you again and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no one will take from you. (Romans 15:22) What a precious promise that your heart will rejoice and that no one will be able to take your joy from you!
- The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit. (Psalm 34:18) Let it sink right down into the deepest places of your heart that God is near you when your heart is breaking.
- And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28) Would you believe that God has got you covered?!
- Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9) Your job is to be strong, not afraid, nor dismayed BECAUSE the Lord your God IS WITH YOU WHEREVER YOU GO!
- Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us[ with groanings which cannot be uttered. (Romans 8:26) If you have no idea how to pray about the trials you are facing, take heart. The Holy Spirit knows how to pray and will pray and intercede for you and through your prayer!
- My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26) Do you feel like your flesh and heart is failing because of your trials? It is so comforting to know that it is God is the strength of your heart and your portion forever. Not just today. Forever!
Jesus was in the storm as the tiny boat crossed Lake Galilee. He will calm your trials if you allow the words in these verses to be comforting to your heart.
If I can be of any encouragement to you, please comment below and I will pray for you.